Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Under the Tuscan Sun

Seriously could my post titles be a little bit more cliche? Probably not, but I'm fine with that. With Rome behind me on spring break, I was really looking forward to checking out Florence. I had heard that it was a little less touristy than Rome, and I was excited for that change. Florence is also considerably smaller than Rome, which provided a bit more authentic Italian experience.

Day One // It was adventure getting to Florence to say the least. For future reference: trying to travel by train with 18 people (plus their huge suitcases) is not easy to do. Especially when you miss your train, miss your stop and miraculously end up in Bologna. But when we finally got to our destination, we could not have been more excited. What was even better? This was the day we would visit the vineyard, Castello di Verrazzano.

Our professor had really talked up our guide, Gino, and I was so excited to meet him in real life. When our bus finally made it up the windy hilltop to our destination, words couldn't describe our excitement. The view was amazing - the Tuscan countryside really is something! While we were busy snapping pictures of the landscape, Gino politely instructed us to put our cameras away. He was more focused on us truly experiencing the vineyard rather than just getting a few good shots of the view. He told us a poem in Italian and although most of us had no idea what he was saying, we understood that it was about really taking in the landscape and the overall experience of the tour.

After showing us around the grounds, we embarked on one of my favorite parts of the trip: the wine tasting. Gino told us how to tell the difference between the color, taste and smell of the chianti wines we were trying. We were assigned a different wine with each course and I was eager to take it all in. The first course was an antipasti (I seriously lunched up on the bread), then we had delicious pasta and then finally a meat course with sausage and ribs. Oh and how could I forget to tell you about the life-changing balsamic vinegar and sheep-milk cheese we tasted? I'm seriously drooling thinking about it now. On top of the food, the laughter and love that surrounded our experience was impeccable. Gino really did create an experience that was unlike any other - and one that I will never forget!

When we got back to Florence, we explored a bit but then collapsed from our exhausting day of travel.


Isn't Tuscany beautiful?


No one knows wine like Gino


Another vineyard in the distance - castle and all


We learned a little about wine making at the vineyard as well


All for me?!


The group after an amazing day of wine tasting (Photo credit: Maggie Bakle)


Thanks for a great experience, Gino!

Day Two // The next day started with some shopping in the morning. From the gold shops on the Ponte Vecchio to small leather shops and more, Florence really knows the way to a shopaholic's heart. Plus, shopping in Italy feels so much classier than in America. I wish it was always acceptable to enter a store with a friendly "Ciao" and leave with a wave, saying "Grazie" - so chic!

That afternoon, we had a tour of the Uffizi Gallery. There were so many beautiful pieces of art from Botticelli, da Vinci and Raphael, just to name a few. We were all exhausted by the time the tour came around so it was hard to really appreciate the amazing pieces of art, but the Uffizi is an experience I won't forget.

That night, we had a group dinner at Trattoria La Casalinga. The food was so fresh and delicious! There's nothing like bruschetta made with real Italian tomatoes and basil. Plus, their pesto pasta was amazing! I literally was in food heaven. Afterwards, we explored the city a bit and then headed back to the hotel.


Ponte Vecchio


View of the Ponte Vecchio from inside the Uffizi Gallery


View of the Duomo from the Uffizi


Fake David statue - unfortunately, we didn't get to see the real one


I think I can die happy now!

Day Three // Our last day in Florence began with an agency tour at Tuscana Promozione. It was interesting to see how Tuscany and Lazio position themselves differently in targeting tourists. The agency in Tuscany emphasized the importance of creating an experience for tourists to buy into before they arrive in Italy, while the agency in Lazio seemed to be promote the destination (Rome) above anything else.

After the agency tour, we had free time to explore. We grabbed a quick pizza lunch at Gusto Pizza and then shopped a little bit more. I ended up buying a brown crossbody leather bag that I am in love with. It wasn't too expensive and whenever I wear it back in the States, it reminds me of the amazing time I had in Italy. Plus, the leather smell is exquisite!

At night, we had our last dinner in Italy at Trattoria Anita for truffle pasta that was to die for! We played the "thankful" game at dinner and reminisced about a trip that was truly life changing. It was definitely an experience I won't forget any time soon. Afterwards, we capped our Italian adventure off with gelato from one of Florence's best gelaterias, Grom. Then we walked with our gelato to the Duomo, and it was the perfect way to end a week in Italy.


You just can't get pizza like this in the States.


Yummm - truffle pasta with mushrooms


The perfect end to a perfect trip

Italy was everything I could have asked for and more. I was wow-ed by the people, the food, the sights and so much more. I really miss it each and every day but that just means I will have to go back sometime soon. Who's with me?!

What did you think of Florence? Where else should I go in Italy?



No comments:

Post a Comment