Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Lasts

A couple hours ago I just got back from my last day of classes...ever! I've already experienced some of my lasts this year - last Little 500, last PRSSA meeting, last class presentation - but this last has got to be the strangest. The past 17-ish years of my life have revolved around sitting in classes for five (but lately, two) days of the week, taking notes and preparing for exams. And all of a sudden, that is over now.

I thought I would be more sad at this fact. After class I just walked out the door like any other day, grabbed lunch and went home to watch an episode of Parenthood like a typical Thursday afternoon. It didn't feel any different. I didn't break down into tears when I left Ernie Pyle Hall. Vitamin C didn't play the Graduation song. It was just a normal day - and I kept on going.

Graduation always seemed like such a far off occasion when I started at IU four short years ago. But with the date looming - the countdown is in the single digits, people - it's becoming a lot more real. I can't imagine what it's going to feel like in August when I'm not preparing for another semester or getting excited to be reunited with my friends again.

Probably the weirdest part of all of this is the fact that I don't know when I will see a lot of my friends again. For instance, I know I will regularly stay in touch and eventually see my roommate, Carmen, but I have no idea if it will be in a couple months or a couple years. It was so much easier with friends from high school because even though we all went to different schools, we would all come home for holidays and be instantly reunited then. But with college, all of my friends came from different places and are all going in different directions after graduation. Just a very scary thought.

But at the same time, all these lasts pave the way for a whole lot of amazing firsts. My first apartment. My first real paycheck. My first day back at FleishmanHillard with the health and wellness team. Meeting new friends and keeping up with the old. I guess what I'm trying to say is that although this is a slightly scary (and mildly depressing) time, there is so much ahead that is incredibly exciting. And for now, I'm trying to focus on all the new things ahead of me instead of dwelling on all of my "lasts."

How are you coping with graduation? What are your most memorable lasts?

No comments:

Post a Comment