Monday, January 6, 2014

Make It Happen

Happy New Year! Ok, I know I'm a few (cough, cough, six!) days late here but it's the thought that counts, right? I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season full of relaxing time spent with friends and family. And of course, way too many Christmas cookies. I know I did!

I'm not usually the girl who makes New Year's resolutions. They always seemed pointless. I would be successful with my resolution for the first month, but then my determination would falter when February rolled around. But now, I really want to make the commitment to change. 2014 is a big year for me. I'm graduating college, starting a new job (hopefully!) and exploring life on my own. I want to tackle all of these things as the best possible me.

For that, I am making a resolution in 2014 to "make it happen." One of my favorite bloggers said this was her resolution and I think it's really applicable. Now, this can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. But to me, it means that I am not going to let excuses get in my way this year. If I want to do something, I am going to get up and do it. No matter what. No excuses. Make it happen!

With this motto in mind, I have a few specific things I want to "make happen" in 2014:

Get a job // This is obviously a big one for me this year. While my first job will likely be an intern position (that's just the way public relations works), I'm still super committed to interning at a public relations agency I love. The internship hunt is so stressful and sometimes it can be easy to just go through the motions rather than going that extra mile to show employers you are an outstanding candidate. With school, other commitments and a never-ending stack of applications, there are always a million other things that call for your attention rather than re-reading your resume one last time to check for typos. But this year I am fully devoted to finding the best possible internship for me. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy senior year // I have given myself 110 percent every semester of college so far. It's always been a balancing act between classes and PRSSA and other organizations that sometimes my social life has been pushed to the side a bit. Don't get me wrong, I've totally been able to enjoy college life and have had a blast every moment of it. But often Netflix lures me in after a long week of school and I just can't be bothered to go out when the weekend rolls around. This semester is different. I plan to take advantage of my light course load and tick off more and more of the activities (in reality, most of these are bars and restaurants my friends and I haven't tried) on my IU Bucket List before May.

Run a mini marathon // When I was younger, I absolutely hated running but as I've gotten older it's become more tolerable. But I always struggle with staying committed to a running routine. It will last for about a month and then I get bored again and quit. But like most college students, I work best when on a deadline. With an end goal in mind (I'm thinking of running the IU Mini in April), I know I will be able to stay accountable. Not only will training help me with the race but it will also ensure I stay healthy this year!

Be more open // This can also mean a bunch of different things. In 2014 I hope to be more open to new relationships, new adventures, new ideas and new possibilities. Sometimes I get so busy and just act with blinders on but this really limits me from enjoying new experiences. As I transition from student to professional this year I want to make sure I am absorbing as many new things as I physically can.

What are your goals for 2014? 
Remember: it's going to be a big year. Make. It. Happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment