Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Last Bite

I'm going to take a brief break from my typical fashion and public relations posts and talk about something very near and dear to my heart, FOOD! A couple of weekends ago, I traveled with the Media Living-Learning Community to New York City for a networking trip. While we were there, we had many journalism events planned, including tours of the Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated and MSNBC. But the free time we did have basically all revolved around food for my roommate and me. No surprise there, huh?

I love, love, LOVE New York City. I've visited a few times before and fell in love with the energetic atmosphere, the gorgeous sites and of course, the food! The last couple times I went, I even took a few food tours and those were seriously the best thing ever. It's so much fun to sample the different restaurants while also seeing different neighborhoods. I would highly recommend the one in Greenwich Village!

This trip, I had a few old favorites and new places I wanted to hit up. While dragging my roommate around to all these different restaurants, she pointed out that at the end of a meal I always pause and leave just one last bite on my plate for a while until I finally finish it. I never knew I did this but the more she pointed this out, the more I found myself doing it again and again. I think I do this because I usually don't want the meal to end and really want to savor the last bite of food before it's gone. So here's a round-up of all of my "last bites" in New York City. Bon appetite!

Nizza // This Italian restaurant is an old favorite for my roommate and me. I first went there three years ago and recommended my roommate try it when she visited. Suffice it to say, she fell in love with it as well! My favorite dish is the pappardelle al pesto aka wide noodles slathered in creamy pesto sauce aka HEAVEN! Basil is like catnip to me so pesto just makes me deliriously happy. Because this was our first meal after we got off a 15-hour bus ride, I devoured the whole plate. It was a lot richer than I remember it being last time. If (more likely, when) I go back, I would probably split this dish with someone else as the creamy sauce is a tad too heavy if you eat the whole thing on your own.

Serendipity 3 // Ok, so this is admittedly super touristy, but Serendipity has been on my list every time I go to NYC. The line is always hours long and my family often doesn't have the patience to wait. But because this was a must-do, my roommate and I invested the time in waiting for the delicious frozen hot chocolate. And let me tell you, the hour and a half wait was well worth it! I wasn't sure what frozen hot chocolate would be like, but it tastes just like it sounds. It's not smooth like a milk shake and tastes just like hot chocolate but with icy pieces in it sort of like a slushie. As if you need any more convincing, check out all that whipped cream!


Dominique Ansel Bakery // When I first heard about the cronut (a hybrid between a croissant and a donut) from a few of my favorite bloggers, I knew I had to try one! My roommate and I hit up the original cronut bakery owned by French pastry chef, Dominique Ansel. Unfortunately by the time we got there, all the cronuts were sold out for the day. Insider's tip: get there about an hour before the bakery opens to snag a cronut. They are often sold out within an hour of opening! Of course, I was able to bounce back with this delicious eclair. Yum!


Shake Shack // Burgers and fries and milk shakes, oh my! If I could live off only these three things I would be a happy woman (although I would also probably weigh 500 pounds). It was a must to stop by the Shake Shack in the theater district after seeing Avenue Q on Sunday night. The perfect end to a NYC night. I got a peanut butter milkshake and I just about died. So delicious! The burger was cooked to perfection and the crinkle-cut fries were just the right amount of salty to contrast the sweet milkshake. I'm getting hungry just typing this!


Pret a Manger // Ok, so this sandwich chain isn't really unique to New York but I just had to go! I first fell in love with Pret two summers ago when I lived in London. Practically everyone on my trip was obsessed with Pret and I would often get it multiple days in a row for lunch. Although in the States they don't have my favorite sandwich, the pesto mozzarella bloomer, they do have something very similar (surprise, surprise, it includes pesto!) that is actually toasted. The perfect warm fix on a chilly New York City afternoon.


Honorable mentions // We had an alumni dinner at Garlic New York Pizza Bar and the slices were so delicious! Huge, cheesy, gooey pizza goodness. The quintessential New York City slice. We also had lunch at Zucker's Bagels & Smoked Fish. If you go to New York, you have to get at least one bagel. Unlike any other bagel you've had. I got "The Tribeca" sandwich on an everything bagel. The sandwich was amazing and almost too big to bite into. Mmm, mmm, good!

I'm counting down the days until I can go back to New York. In the meantime, follow me on Instagram to keep up with everything I'm eating, wearing and seeing!

What are your favorite places to eat in New York?




No comments:

Post a Comment