Monday, October 7, 2013

Dressing For Success

Call me a nerd, but I love hearing how other people define dressing professionally. So when I heard the IU Alumni Association was hosting an event called Get Dressed, I was super excited. I was even more excited to learn that Bloomington-based style blogger and IU alumna, Jessica Quirk, of What I Wore would present on the subject. Her presentation last week really got me thinking about dressing after graduation.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of what goes into dressing for the office - otherwise I wouldn't have started this blog in the first place! But everything is so situational. In some workplaces, it's appropriate (and encouraged!) to wear jeans and sneakers every day while other offices require you to be buttoned-up 24/7. It's really hard to make generalizations about "what to wear to work" because it's different for everyone, even in the same profession.

Jessica referred to the professional dress code as a "spectrum." This ranges from highly conservative, professional dress to business casual to just plain casual. On this blog I'm focusing on what would work in the public relations industry, which typically falls into the business casual category on the spectrum. But obviously even this varies. Some agencies may be more creative and you can get away with some trendier pieces. Others may be more professional and suits are required Monday through Friday.

To ensure that you fit in (in the good way), look at what your boss and co-workers are wearing. If they wear sandals every day, you know that the office environment is a little bit more lax. But if they are in blazers and pumps, you should be too. When you are interning, for example, I recommend always adhering to the office dress code, even if some of your superiors tend to break the rules occasionally. You don't have the job (yet!) so you have to put your best foot forward.

As Jessica said, "If you look good, you feel good." You aren't shallow if you try to present yourself in a good light. Dressing well will not earn you the job, but dressing poorly will surely prevent you from getting it. If you have confidence in what you are wearing, you will shine above the rest. Remember, you've always got to rock it!


I'll leave you with one of my absolute favorite business looks from Jessica's blog. 

What are some of your burning questions about dressing professionally?

No comments:

Post a Comment