Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Just Can't Deal...

Success! I started my internship yesterday and it went fabulously! I had such a blast meeting my team and it seems like I'm going to really enjoy working with everyone. I'm obsessed with having my own cubicle (note to self: need to decorate my space) and the fact that I feel like a real person now that I'm working in the city.

I started along with my friend Jessica (IU PRSSA represent!), so it was great to see a friendly face right off the bat. I just met with my team and got acquainted to the office, so I'm looking forward to getting to work today. I'm sure I will have plenty on my plate shortly.

One of the downsides about working in the city and living in the suburbs is the commute. However, it is great for two things: reading and people-watching. I will focus on the latter in this post—but if you want my take on the former, read here.

To my surprise (and disgust!) I noticed a common theme among some women on the go. While on their way to work, plenty of women donned gym shoes with their professional attire. I even saw a lady with tights and athletic shoes. Case in point?

Yeah, no thank you!

I'm all for comfort while commuting, but I just cannot swallow this fashion statement—can you even call it that?! No one, and I mean no one, can pull off this look. I know that heels are impractical when walking to the office. I have a 1.5 mile walk from the train station to my building, so I completely understand. But a sensible pair of flats, for me, have the same function as gym shoes but still look stylish.

You never know who you are going to run into on the way to work. That old flame, your boss, Ryan Gosling (a girl can dream, can't she?!). Would you want to be caught in those tennies? I didn't think so!

Ladies, toss your stilettos in your bag and make the hike to your office in a pair of comfy flats (I love this pair and have heard good things about this one as well). You will look put together and still be able to move it.

What do you think? Does comfort trump fashion when it comes to wearing athletic shoes when commuting?

No comments:

Post a Comment