Wednesday, May 8, 2013

London Calling

A year ago today was the first day of my internship in London. It feels like it was just yesterday but I miss my experiences at Bell Pottinger Business & Brand so much.

I went across the pond with about 20 other IU journalism students for two months as a part of the Summer in London program. We took a class on British media and interned at publications and agencies throughout the city. It was seriously the best thing I've ever done! I learned so much about the world, about myself, and about journalism/public relations.

There are so many things I still miss about my time abroad: the accents, everyone saying "cheers", The Angel, Ability Towers, the Tube, pesto mozzarella bloomers from Pret, Strongbow. The list goes on and on. But most importantly, I cherish all the friendships I made while abroad. You guys were the best people to travel and laugh with!

While I did manage to have (lots of!) fun in London, I also was there first and foremost to intern. To remember my time abroad, I rounded up some of my favorite professional looks from London. Sorry if the picture quality isn't the best, these were all from Facebook. Cheers!


The obligatory first day of interning picture with my flatmates, Jackie and Kourtney. A suit was the best way to go to feel out how "smart" (they don't use the terms "business casual" or "business professional"  to describe clothing over there) I would have to dress at my internship. It's always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. Let's just say I never touched the suit the rest of the trip, but at least I showed I was professional right off the bat!

Suit: Calvin Klein (Similar)  // Top: Unknown (Similar) // Pumps: Vince Camuto


I love, love, love this blue dress! Above, I'm on one of the canals in London with my friend, Haley, before The News Review. I wore this dress so much over the summer. Between the light, flouncy fabric and gorgeous cobalt blue color, this number really was a winner. And those flats? They were a champ in Paris. I really (stupidly) but them through the wringer that weekend but they still look great!

Dress: Eliza J (Similar) // Flats: Sam Edelman (Similar)


I was immediately drawn to the bright color of this skirt. It screams summer to me! Here I am in Piccadilly Circus picking up some last minute souvenirs with my friends, Claire and Michael (we constantly sang OneRepublic's Good Life while there). The floral top and bright skirt are both in the same color palette so while they are a statement, they work well together. I stood out—in the best possible way—in this outfit.

Top: Bobeau (Similar) // Skirt: Halogen


The one thing I learned in London was the importance of a plain trench coat. Everyone, and I mean everyone, needs one! While it was more of a necessity over there, they work great in the States too in that in-between spring weather. It can take the chill off in the morning but is not too bulky at lunch or when dodging some sprinkles. Here, I'm stylin' on Tower Bridge even though the skies were overcast.

Trench: Michael Kors (Similar)

What are some of your favorite professional summer staples?

No comments:

Post a Comment