Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mad Men Isn't Just About Advertising

First, I want to shout out to the one reader who checked out my posts from Thursday and Friday, even though I didn't promote them on social media. A big 'holla!' to whoever you are! In case everyone else missed them, the posts are here and here. Give 'em a look!

The end of last week was crazy as I moved out on Thursday then drove back home on Friday. On Monday, I finally got around to unpacking everything. My closet was the most difficult part of the move. I always seem to forget that I have so many clothes until they are all lying on my bedroom floor in heaps.

Organizational skills aside, I had a great weekend catching up on my new favorite show, Mad Men. I know, I know, I'm a little behind the times. I'm nearing the end of the third season now but I'm devoting this week to catch up before my internship starts. It's an ambitious goal, but I'm up to the challenge.

While I mostly enjoy the show because of the amazing fashion (I'm dying for Joan's pen necklace and all of Betty's floral dresses!) and Don Draper's beautiful face (I rest my case here), there are also so many one-liners that relate to PR.

One of my favorites of Don's is from season three, episode two: "If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation." 

This is the basis of public relations, of reputation management, and is the job of every PR practitioner or publicist out there. I think this quote especially applies to the recent J.C. Penney ad campaign apologizing for recent "changes." If you haven't seen the "It's No Secret" ads, here's one.


A little bit on the back story, basically, J.C. Penney was not successful with their "everyday low prices" strategy (remember those Ellen commercials?) as people were confused and discouraged at the lack of discounts in store. Couple this with a $4 billion loss from former CEO Ron Johnson, and things weren't looking so hot for this retailer.

In response, Penney's changed the conversation by issuing a series of ads containing a genuine apology for the retailer's recent setbacks. To me, the ads were sincere and heartfelt. They really showed that the retailer is listening to customers and is hoping to learn from their own mistakes. Feedback on Twitter is positive as well, according to this Forbes article. Don Draper obviously knew his stuff!

Clearly, the lessons from Mad Men are timeless (and so is the fashion!) which I think is what makes it such a hit. Another one of my favorite Don-isms: "Change is neither good nor bad, it simply is." Think on that one!

What's your take on the J.C. Penney ads? Cheesy? Insincere? Spot-on? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment