Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sweet Home Chicago

Welp. I officially feel like an old lady. It's not even 10 p.m. and I'm exhausted! Plus my back hurts and my feet have blisters from all the walking. Commuting and working downtown is tough work! Other than my grandma tendencies, I'm loving every minute. From the sunny walks in the morning to helping a co-worker on a project to eating lunch outside, this summer is shaping out to be a good one!

More specifically, spending so much time downtown reminds me of how much I love Chicago. While London and New York still rank pretty high up there on my list of favorite cities, Chicago just has a special place in my heart. After all, I have spent (almost) 21 years of my life here. It's home!

To celebrate my love for the Chi, here are my top 10 things—in no particular order—about the Windy Cindy!

1. The Food // Enough said. Let's start with: Portillo's. Their Chicago-style hot dogs (no ketchup allowed here!) are to die and they boast the best chocolate cake you will ever taste. For deep dish pizza, Lou Malnati's is the way to go. Garrett's popcorn is also a hit—can't go wrong with the cheese and caramel corn mixed! Plus, my local favorites including Brant's burgers, Nutella milkshakes from Edzo's, and gyros from Nicky's. My mouth is watering just writing this post.

2. Lincoln Park Zoo // While the selection of animals may not be the most plentiful, I grew up at this zoo. I have the best memories of bundling up with my mom and grandma for Zoo Lights or renting a paddle boat during the summer. To this day, I still love going back to remember my childhood. And to see the brick with my mom's name on it to thank her for donating money to the sea lion exhibit.

The beautiful skyline at Zoo Lights last winter.

3. Macy's formerly known as Marshall Fields // The iconic State Street location is the best place to shop in the city, housed in the most beautiful building. I love the Tiffany's ceiling over the cosmetics department and the Walnut Room in the winter with the HUGE Christmas tree. Another favorite is seeing the decorated windows at Christmastime.

4. Michigan Avenue // To continue with the shopping in Chicago, Michigan Avenue is surely the place to be. From my favorite Nordstrom store to Zara to Tiffany's, everything you can possibly imagine is here. Plus, it's such a pretty location and just a pleasant street to walk down.

Anniversary sale shopping at Nordstrom with my friend, Linden. The best time of the year!

5. Field Museum // I've been going to this museum since I was a kid and I still love the mummy exhibit today. It's such a classic museum and no matter how many times I visit, there is always something new to see or enjoy.

My friends and I with Sue at the Field Museum a few summers ago.

6. North Avenue Beach // So many gorgeous views of the city from this beach in the heart of the city. You can't beat a day spent in the water, lounging in the sand and looking up at the Hancock Building.

Aside from shopping, Linden and I also had to visit the beach on her trip.

7. The Bean in Millenium Park // I can't be alone in saying that I love a good selfie, especially when there is a huge reflective surface to take tons of fun pictures off of. The Bean is just plain fun and I love that I can look out of my building at work and see the park. Just beautiful.

IU friends take the city over winter break.

8. Sears Tower // Sorry, but I will never call it Willis Tower. The views from the top are sensational, especially when you step out into the glass cages suspended over the edge of the building. I love going up there with my mom because she knows where everything in the city is located and makes a great tour guide.

9. Moving Walkway at O'Hare // I loved strutting around O'Hare with my Barbie suitcase when I was a kid, especially when bopping down the moving walkway under the colorful lights between terminals. If you've ever been to O'Hare, you know what I'm talking about. The lights are just so pretty and make moving walkways even more fun!

Cool, huh?!

10. Midwest Spirit // While there is no doubt that Chicago is a big city, it still maintains that Midwestern, friendly spirit. The city just exudes a welcoming feeling. Even though this place is home to me, I imagine it feels that way for most, even if they've just visited once. Chicago is a place that you want to come back to, plain and simple.

What's your favorite city? Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment